[slurm-users] changing PriorityDecayHalfLife has no impact on stored accounting data

Antony Cleave antony.cleave at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 05:29:27 MDT 2018

Hi All

Yes, I realise this is almost certainly the intended outcome. I have
wondered this for a long time but only recently got round to testing it on
a safe system.

Process is simple run a lot of jobs
let decay take effect
change the setting
restart dbd and ctld
run another job with debug2 on the ctld
read the log to see that the QoS stil has the same accounting number

[2018-10-15T13:18:16.404] debug2: acct_policy_job_begin: after adding job
4304, qos normal grp_used_tres_run_secs(cpu) is 14400
[2018-10-15T13:47:45.789] debug2: acct_policy_job_begin: after adding job
4304, qos normal grp_used_tres_run_secs(cpu) is 14400

I wonder if there is a way to have Slurm recalculate the historical usage
of users/accounts/QoS used for resource limits calculations. It has all of
the data to do so in the database. I did try cleaning out all of
the cluster_usage_(month|day|hour)_tables in the accounting db after making
a backup as a bit of an experiment but this just cleans the state for
everyone as expected

for the record the full usage undecayed is:
sacct -nP -X -D -q normal --format=CPUTimeRAW -S2018-01-01 | awk -F"|"
'BEGIN { sum=0; } { sum += $1; } END { print int(sum/60); }'
214676
cpu minutes showing that it does indeed still have the data required to
recalculate the usages if we wished to do it.

I know that this would take quite a while to do all the hourly rollups but
it would be useful to rebalance  the system once it was realised the decay
had been set too fast i.e. left at the default of 1 week.

Also is there a way for a normal user to see the decayed usage of
account/user/QoS? the raw usage is there (as above) but this is  just fuels
resentment when your jobs are held back by a limit and someone from an
account with way more usage (which has decayed away to nothing) and the
same limit is allowed to run.

Antony