[slurm-users] About x11 support

Tina Friedrich tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 27 02:55:50 MST 2018

Why would you run a slurmctld on a *submit* host? You only need the
controller daemon on, well, the controllers (what I would still call
'queue masters' :) ). Personally I'd make quite sure that no-one apart
from admins has rights to log in to those, really!

In fact, you don't need to run any daemon on a submit host; it just
needs access to the binaries and the cluster config. We run Centos, so I
build the rpms; all I install on the login node(s) is 'slurm' - neither
'slurmd' nor 'slurmctld' are required. Which is certainly not something
you couldn't install on a bunch or workstations, especially if they are
managed machines.

Tina