[slurm-users] Over-subscription for a GRES type

Paul Browne pfb29 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 23 09:49:55 MST 2018

Hello slurm-users,

This may be a silly question, but I was curious if the concept of over-subscription on a GRES has come up before, or is currently possible in recent SLURM releases?

We have a use-case in that the GRES being tracked on a particular partition are GPU cards, but aren't being used by applications that would require them exclusively (lightweight direct rendering rather than GP-GPU/CUDA workloads), and so some degree of over-subscription on the cards would actually be quite welcome to alleviate job pressure on that partition.

Many thanks,
Paul Browne