[slurm-users] Controller / backup controller q's

Will Dennis wdennis at nec-labs.com
Fri May 25 10:19:38 MDT 2018

On Friday, May 25, 2018 5:31 AM, Pär Lindfors wrote:

> Time to start upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04 now then? :-)

Not yet time for us... There's problems with U18.04 that render it unusable for our environment.

> For a 10 node cluster it might make more sense to run slurmctld and slurmdbd on the same hardware as neither have very high hardware requirements.

It's 10 nodes now, will be growing as we qualify the Slurm setup. The 'slurmctld' and 'slurmdbd' nodes are both running CentOS 7, so no advantage to consolidating on that (as well, may promote the slurmdbd node to be the Labs-wide Slurm DB host for multiple clusters...)

> Does each user have a different local home directory on each compute node?
> That is not something I would recommend, unless you are very good at training your users to avoid
> submitting jobs in their home directories. I assume you have some other shared file system across the cluster?

Answered earlier, but yes.

> I recommend separating them, for systems administration and user convenience reasons.

Thanks, this is what I will do then.

-Will