[slurm-users] Controller / backup controller q's

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri May 25 03:43:59 MDT 2018

Will,  I know I will regret chiming in here. Are you able to say what
cluster manager or framework you are using?
I don't see a problem in running two different distributions. But as Per
says look at your development environment.

For my part, I would ask have you thought about containerisation? ie CentOS
comoute nodes and run Singularity?

ALso the 'unique home directory per node' gives me the heebie-jeebies. I
guess technically is it OK.
However many commercial packages crate dot files or dit directories in user
home directories.
I am thinking of things like Ansys and Matlab etc. etc. etc. here
What will you do if these dotfiles are not consistent across the cluster?

Before anyoen says it, I was arguing somewhere else recently that 'home
directories' are an outdated concept when you are running HPC.
I still think that, and this is a classic case in point.
Forgive me if I have misunderstood your setup.