[slurm-users] Why SlurmUser is set to slurm by default?

Taras Shapovalov taras.shapovalov at brightcomputing.com
Thu May 24 03:17:46 MDT 2018

Hey guys,

We always use the default value for SlurmUser, but now we have realized
that we don't really get why it is user slurm, but not root. Sometimes it
is useful to run SlurmctlProlog as root, but then slurmctld will also run
as root. Other workload managers are ok to run their control daemons as
root. Did you have something specific in mind when set this default value
in slurm.conf or it is just in case for security reasons?

Best regards,

Taras