[slurm-users] Job step aborted

Mahmood Naderan mahmood.nt at gmail.com
Fri May 18 00:05:49 MDT 2018

OK I understand that. However, there is a issue with ntasks=1.
Assume a user wants to launch an application with the number of cores
in the command line argument. Taking into mind that the cpu limit for
the partition is 20 cores, the following example

[mahmood at rocks7 ~]$ srun --x11 -A y8 -p RUBY --mem=8GB --pty bash
[mahmood at compute-0-6 ~]$ /state/partition1/scfd/sc -t10

raises two problems:
1- Slurm assumes that the user job is using only one core. That means
a user can create 20 interactive sessions and in each of the sessions
launch the program with 10 threads and bypassing the core limit I set
before.

2- The user that start the session with ntasks=1 (or not specifying
that) and then cheat the system by launching the program with more
than cpu limit (specifying -t50).

Any idea?

Regards,
Mahmood