[slurm-users] Creating custom partition GRES

Almon Gem Otanes almonds22 at gmail.com
Thu May 17 16:02:32 MDT 2018

Hi everyone,
Is there a way to add GRES/features/attributes(not sure which is the
correct term) to partitions? I'm trying to port from SGE to SLURM. Our
current setup have queues(partitions) that refer to physical systems. The
binaries we want to execute are just scripts that don't need to run on the
partitions so in this case, we use the nodes as execution hosts. I want to
be able to tell sbatch I want to submit to any partition that have a set of
custom GRES/features/attributes. For example, a partition with a BERT(bit
error rate tester) with loopback enabled. So my GRES would look something
like bert:true,loopback=true.

I do have a semi-solution but I'm not sure if there is a better solution
with a SLURM feature I'm not familiar with. My solution is to use the
job_submit plugin to redirect the GRES that is meant for the nodes to be
used as filters for the partition. My next problem is how to tell the
scheduler that it can only submit to the list of partitions I indicate. The
partition job submit plugin only shows how to set the partition to a
specific one.

In short, my questions are:
1. How to apply custom GRES to partitions?
2. Is there a way using the job_submit plugin to limit the partitions the
scheduler can submit to from a list that I indicate?

Thanks in advance,
Almon Otanes