[slurm-users] Python and R installation in a SLURM cluster

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Fri May 11 01:56:18 MDT 2018

On Friday, 11 May 2018 5:11:38 PM AEST John Hearns wrote:

> Eric, my advice would be to definitely learn the Modules system and
> implement modules for your users.

I will echo that, and the suggestion of shared storage (we use our Lustre
filesystem for that).  I would also suggest looking at a system to help you
automate building of software packages.   Not only does this help replicate
builds, but it also gives you access to the community who write the recipes
for them - and that itself can be very valuable.

We use Easybuild (which also automates the creation of software modules - and
I would suggest using the Lmod system for that):

https://easybuilders.github.io/easybuild/

But there's also Spack too:

https://spack.io/

As another resource (as we are going off topic from Slurm here), I would
suggest the Beowulf list as a mailing list that deals with Linux based HPC
systems of many different scales.  Disclosure: I now caretake the list, but
it's been going since the 1990s.

http://beowulf.org/

All the best!
Chris