[slurm-users] sacct: error

Marcus Wagner wagner at itc.rwth-aachen.de
Mon May 7 01:41:27 MDT 2018

Hi Chris,

this is not correct. From the slurm.conf manpage:

CPUs:
Number of logical processors on the node (e.g. "2").  CPUs and Boards
are mutually exclusive. It can be set to the total number of sockets,
cores or threads. This can be useful when you want to schedule only
the  cores on a hyper-threaded node.  If CPUs is omitted, it will be set
equal to the product of Sockets, CoresPerSocket, and ThreadsPerCore.
The default value is 1.

If one only wants to schedule by cores, even if hyperthreading is
enabled, you need to set CPUs to Sockets*CoresPerSocket. See also this
part from SelectTypeParameters:

CR_Core_Memory:
Cores  and  memory  are  consumable resources.  On nodes with
hyper-threads, each thread is counted as a CPU to satisfy a job's
resource requirement, but multiple jobs are not allocated threads on the
samecore.  The count of CPUs allocated to a job may be rounded up to
account for every CPU on an allocated core.  Setting a value for
DefMemPerCPU is strongly recommended.
Especially the part "every CPU on an allocated core".

To me it looks like CPUs is the synonym for hardware threads.

Best
Marcus

--
Marcus Wagner, Dipl.-Inf.