[slurm-users] set SLURM_JOB_NAME programmatically from within job script

Jessica Nettelblad jessica.nettelblad at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 12:39:59 MDT 2018

Hi Andreas,

The Slurm controller has job names in its own data structure.

The Slurm controller job name is set to the name of the job script by
default, or to a name you define for example with -J.
The environment variable SLURM_JOB_NAME is then set to this Slurm
controller job name by job start.

So there are two job names you can change for a running job, depending on
what you want to do more exactly:

scontrol update job=$SLURM_JOB_ID name=myname
- Updates the Slurm controller job name, in the Slurm controller's data
structure.
- Controller calls like squeue will use this new name. For example squeue
-n myname will list all jobs with this name.
- Doesn't update SLURM_JOB_NAME. So the name that is presented by slurmctld
can be changed back and forth without messing up the environment variable.

export SLURM_JOB_NAME=myname
- Updates the environment variable SLURM_JOB_NAME, just like you did.
- The current job's process will get this new environment variable. You can
refer to this new name (in code/child processes after the change) using
$SLURM_JOB_NAME.
- Doesn't update the Slurm controller job name.

Best regards,
Jessica Nettelblad, UPPMAX