[slurm-users] Automatically migrating jobs to different partitions?

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Thu Mar 22 21:20:18 MDT 2018

On Friday, 23 March 2018 8:49:00 AM AEDT Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> If I’m not mistaken, you may submit with multiple partitions specified and
> it will run on the one that makes the most sense.

More importantly it'll run on the one it can first, based on the priority of
the partitions requested.

You can automate some of this with a submit filter. For instance we have
overlapping partitions for our skylake nodes, one for GPU jobs that can access
all 36 cores (and has a higher priority) and one for CPU only jobs that can
only access 32 cores.  The submit filter checks if they've asked for GPUs and
sets the partition appropriately and if they've not asked for GPUs then it
prevents them requesting the GPU partition.

Of course it can't check if the job itself is really going to use GPUs or
not..

Hope this helps,
Chris