[slurm-users] What's the best way to suppress core dump files from jobs?

Bill Barth bbarth at tacc.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 21 07:03:11 MDT 2018

Ole,

I don’t think we had to do anything special since we have UsePAM = 1 in our slurm.conf. I didn’t do the install personally, but our pam.d/slurm* files are written by us and installed by our configuration management system. Not sure which one UsePAM looks for, but here are ours:

c501-101[skx](41)# cat /etc/pam.d/slurm
auth       required   pam_localuser.so
auth       required   pam_shells.so
account    required   pam_unix.so
account    required   pam_access.so
session    required   pam_unix.so
session    required   pam_limits.so
-session   optional   pam_systemd.so
c501-101[skx](42)# cat /etc/pam.d/slurm.pam
auth       required   pam_localuser.so
auth       required   pam_shells.so
account    required   pam_unix.so
account    required   pam_access.so
session    required   pam_unix.so
session    required   pam_limits.so
-session   optional   pam_systemd.so

There might be better forms of these, but they’re working for us. I guess this counts now as being documented in a public place!

Best,
Bill.

--
Bill Barth, Ph.D., Director, HPC
bbarth at tacc.utexas.edu        |   Phone: (512) 232-7069

On 3/21/18, 7:49 AM, "slurm-users on behalf of Ole Holm Nielsen" <slurm-users-bounces at lists.schedmd.com on behalf of Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk> wrote:

    On 03/21/2018 01:08 PM, Bill Barth wrote:
    > You could set /etc/security/limits.conf on every node to contain something like (check my syntax):
    >
    > * soft core 0
    > * hard  core 0

    Nice suggestion, however, processes spawned by slurmd doesn't read the
    /etc/security/limits.conf file.

    > And make sure that /etc/pam.d/slurm.* and /etc/pam.d/system-auth* contain:
    >
    > session     required      pam_limits.so
    > session     required      pam_limits.so

    Our default CentOS 7.4 file already had this:

    # grep limits /etc/pam.d/system-auth
    session     required      pam_limits.so

    However, there are no /etc/pam.d/slurm.* files on our system (running
    Slurm 17.02).  Did TACC create a special Slurm PAM configuration file,
    and is this documented in the public domain?

    > …so that limits are enforced for each user session. We have these lines in several other PAM files, but those above might be the minimum set for use with SLURM and SSH. Both sets of files might not be necessary, but if you allow ssh to compute nodes after a job is started, you probably need both.

    Thanks,
    Ole