[slurm-users] What's the best way to suppress core dump files from jobs?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed Mar 21 06:49:53 MDT 2018

On 03/21/2018 01:08 PM, Bill Barth wrote:
> You could set /etc/security/limits.conf on every node to contain something like (check my syntax):
>
> * soft core 0
> * hard  core 0

Nice suggestion, however, processes spawned by slurmd doesn't read the
/etc/security/limits.conf file.

> And make sure that /etc/pam.d/slurm.* and /etc/pam.d/system-auth* contain:
>
> session     required      pam_limits.so
> session     required      pam_limits.so

Our default CentOS 7.4 file already had this:

# grep limits /etc/pam.d/system-auth
session     required      pam_limits.so

However, there are no /etc/pam.d/slurm.* files on our system (running
Slurm 17.02).  Did TACC create a special Slurm PAM configuration file,
and is this documented in the public domain?

> …so that limits are enforced for each user session. We have these lines in several other PAM files, but those above might be the minimum set for use with SLURM and SSH. Both sets of files might not be necessary, but if you allow ssh to compute nodes after a job is started, you probably need both.

Thanks,
Ole