[slurm-users] QoS and Preemption

Sérgio Almeida sergio.almeida at tecnico.ulisboa.pt
Mon Mar 19 13:30:19 MDT 2018

Greetings,

I will try and over simplify what we are trying to achieve in one of our
clusters.

The current setup has four QoS groups, A, B, C and D.

QoS A can use the whole the cluster's resources and preempts over QoS B,
C and D.

QoS B can use half the cluster's resources and preempts over QoS D.

QoS C can use half the cluster's resources and preempts over QoS D.

QoS D can use the whole cluster's resources and can't preempt over any
other QoS. D is the default QoS.

The intended behaviour is to have both B and C to be able to use the
whole cluster whenever possible and preempt each other but just up to
half the cluster's resources. At the moment, both B and C are limited to
half the cluster's resources at all times.

How can one achieve this kind of behaviour with slurm?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Sérgio