[slurm-users] SLURM PAM support?

Maik Schmidt maik.schmidt at tu-dresden.de
Mon Jun 18 06:15:35 MDT 2018

Hi,

we're currently in the process of migrating from RHEL6 to 7, which also
brings us the benefit of having systemd. However, we are observing
problems with user applications that use e.g. XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, because
SLURM apparently does not really run the user application through the
PAM stack. The consequence is that SLURM jobs inherit the XDG_*
environment variables from the login nodes (where sshd properly sets it
up), but on the compute nodes, /run/user/$uid does not exist, leading to
errors whenever a user application tries to access it.

We have tried setting UsePam=1, but that did not help.

I have found the following issue on the systemd project regarding
exactly this problem: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/3355

There, Lennart Poettering argues that it should be the responsibility of
the scheduler software (i.e. SLURM) to run user code only within a
proper PAM session.

My question: does SLURM support this? If yes, how?

If not, what are best practices to circumvent this problem on
RHEL7/systemd installations? Surely other clusters must have already had
the same issue...

Thanks in advance.

--
Maik Schmidt
HPC Services

Technische Universität Dresden
Zentrum für Informationsdienste und Hochleistungsrechnen (ZIH)
Willers-Bau A116
D-01062 Dresden
Telefon: +49 351 463-32836