[slurm-users] Spec-ing a Slurm DB server

Will Dennis wdennis at nec-labs.com
Thu Jul 19 11:51:23 MDT 2018

Hi all,

We currently have a small Slurm cluster for a research group here, where as a part of that setup, we have a Slurm DBD setup that we utilize for fair-share scheduling. The current server platform this runs on is an older Dell PowerEdge R210 system, with a single 4-core Intel Xeon X3430 CPU, and 16GB of memory. The MySQL (actually MariaDB) server running on this seems to be performing well enough for current needs.

Now we are planning a (also initially small, but hopefully will grow) labs-wide Slurm cluster, and wish to have a labs-wide Slurm DBD server that will handle this new cluster, as well as any other Slurm cluster we have/will have (this includes the existing dept-specific Slurm cluster we already have.) I have a couple of questions on this point:

1)      How to size the hardware for this server? (What kind of resources does a moderate Slurm DBD server require?)

2)      How to port over the existing Slurm DBD database to the newer server?

Pointers to existing docs that answer these questions gratefully accepted (I looked, but didn't find any that addressed my concerns.)

Thanks!

Will Dennis
NEC Laboratories America