[slurm-users] Fwd: An issue with HOSTNAME env var when using salloc/srun for interactive job with Slurm 17.11.7

CB cbalways at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 10:55:02 MDT 2018

Hi,

We've recently upgraded to Slurm 17.11.7 from 16.05.8.

We noticed that the environment variable, HOSTNAME, does not refelct the
compute node with an interactive job using the salloc/srun command.
Instead it still points to the submit hostname although .SLURMD_NODENAME
reflects the correct  compute node name.

$ salloc --immediate -p manycore --constraint=xeon64c --exclusive -O -N 1
--qos=high  srun --pty bash -i
salloc: Granted job allocation 2291315
salloc: Waiting for resource configuration
salloc: Nodes mc-1 are ready for job

[user1 at mc-1 test]$ echo $HOSTNAME
login-3

[user1 at mc-1 test]$ echo $SLURMD_NODENAME
nc-1

Is this a bug introduced with 17.11.x version or something that has been
there before?  According to our user, it used to point the compute node
name.

BTW, if I test the environment variable with a batch job, HOSTNAME
environment variable reflects the compute node name correctly.

Thanks,
- Chansup