[slurm-users] Extreme long db upgrade 16.05.6 -> 17.11.3

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Feb 27 12:51:15 MST 2018

On Wednesday, 28 February 2018 2:13:41 AM AEDT Miguel Gila wrote:

> Microcode patches were not applied to the physical system, only the kernel
> was upgraded, so I'm not sure whether the performance hit could come from
> that or not.

Yes it would, it's the kernel changes that cause the impact.  My understanding
is tha the microcode update had features that were intended to mitigate that.

Also note Intel later withdrew the microcode update due to instability on
earlier CPUs (Linux distros reverted their firmware updates at that time):

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/root-cause-of-reboot-issue-identified-updated-guidance-for-customers-and-partners/

and it appears the most recent update is intended to be pushed out via firmware
updates rather than a microcode file loaded from the OS.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/latest-intel-security-news-updated-firmware-available/

Best of luck!
Chris