[slurm-users] ntpd or chrony?

Alan Orth alan.orth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 04:37:03 MST 2018

Hello,

Thanks for the link to the Linux Foundation blog post about ntp and Chrony.
I had been using ntp for years but will now switch to Chrony as its code
base is more modern, secure, and maintainable. Also hoping to just run less
code, and I like the sound of Chrony's simpler implementation.

As far as I can tell, systemd-timedated does not handle network time[0]
itself. That is the responsibility of systemd-timesyncd, which is including
in systemd 213 and up[1], but was disabled by RedHat in RHEL7 / CentOS 7
for whatever reason despite that distro shipping with systemd 219. For
simplicity I do prefer systemd-timesyncd on modern Debian-based systems,
however.

[0] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/timedated/
[1]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019537.html

Cheers,

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 7:01 PM Patrick Goetz <pgoetz at math.utexas.edu>
wrote:

> On newer systemd-based systems you can just use timedatectl -- I find
> this does everything I need it to do. Although I think on RHEL/CentOS
> systems timedatectl is just set start chrony, or something like this.
>
> On 01/14/2018 08:11 PM, Lachlan Musicman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As part of both Munge and SLURM, time synchronised servers are necessary.
> >
> > I keep finding chrony installed and running and ntpd stopped. I turn
> > chrony off and restart/enable ntpd but every CentOS point update it
> > seems to flip.
> >
> >  From what I've read ntpd is better for always on devices, and chrony's
> > been created for devices with a more intermittent access to a time
> > server/the internet.
> >
> > What are people's thoughts and what are people using?
> >
> > cheers
> > L.
> >
> > ------
> > "The antidote to apocalypticism is *apocalyptic civics*. Apocalyptic
> > civics is the insistence that we cannot ignore the truth, nor should we
> > panic about it. It is a shared consciousness that our institutions have
> > failed and our ecosystem is collapsing, yet we are still here — and we
> > are creative agents who can shape our destinies. Apocalyptic civics is
> > the conviction that the only way out is through, and the only way
> > through is together. "
> >
> > /Greg Bloom/ @greggish
> > https://twitter.com/greggish/status/873177525903609857
>
> --