[slurm-users] How to deal with user running stuff in frontend node?

Nicholas McCollum nmccollum at asc.edu
Thu Feb 15 15:12:21 MST 2018

I had previously contacted Ryan Cox about his solution and worked with
it a little to implement it on our CentOS 7 cluster.  While I liked his
solution, I felt it was a little complex for our needs.

I'm a big fan of keeping stuff real simple, so I came up with two simple
shell scripts to solve the issue.

I have ulimits set to 10 minutes of cpu time.

One script runs continuously and runs:
# systemctl set-property user-$userid.slice CPUQuota=200%
# systemctl set-property user-$userid.slice CPUShares=256
# systemctl set-property user-$userid.slice MemoryLimit=4294967296

... for each user that it has discovered logged in.  This essentially
sets the max amount of CPU cores and memory that the user can use.

The other script runs every 5 minutes and looks through /proc to find
any processes that I want to exceed the ulimit.  I have an array of
processes (like: tar, bzip2, rsync, scp, etc) that I don't mind if the
user exceeds 10 minutes of cputime.  This script looks for these
processes and runs:

# prlimit --pid $PID --cpu=unlimited

That way ulimits don't apply to those applications.

It's actually worked so well that I had totally forgotten about it until
I saw this thread.  If you'd like a copy of the shell scripts, just send
me an e-mail.

---

Nicholas McCollum - HPC Systems Expert
Alabama Supercomputer Authority - CSRA