[slurm-users] How to deal with user running stuff in frontend node?

Manuel Rodríguez Pascual manuel.rodriguez.pascual at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 08:11:29 MST 2018

Hi all,

Although this is not strictly related to Slurm, maybe you can recommend me
some actions to deal with a particular user.

On our small cluster, currently there are no limits to run applications in
the frontend. This is sometimes really useful for some users, for example
to have scripts monitoring the execution of jobs and taking decisions
depending on the partial results.

However, we have this user that keeps abusing this system: when the job
queue is long and there is a significant time wait, he sometimes runs his
jobs on the frontend, resulting on a CPU load of 100% and some delays on
using it for the things it is supposed to serve (user login, monitoring and
so).

Have you faced the same issue?  Is there any solution? I am thinking about
using ulimit to limit the execution time of this jobs in the frontend to 5
minutes or so. This however does not look so elegant as other users can
perform the sabe abuse on the future, and he should also be able to run low
cpu-consuming jobs for a longer period. However I am not an experienced
sysadmin so I am completely open to suggestions or different ways of facing
this issue.

Any thoughts?

cheers,

Manuel