[slurm-users] Should I join the federation?

Yair Yarom irush at cs.huji.ac.il
Mon Feb 12 02:52:03 MST 2018

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you can share your insights regarding
federations. What unexpected caveats have you encountered?

We have here about about 15 "small" clusters (due to political and
technical reasons), and most users have access to more than one
cluster. Federation seems like a good solution instead of users running
between clusters searching for available resources (we'll probably have
2-4 federations...).

I would also want to have a single submission node, but then users will
still need to select a cluster (we have an lmod module to select a
cluster by setting PATH and SLURM_CONF). The solution I've come up is to
create a dummy cluster with a lot of drained resources. But this seem
like a not-so-good solution and might confuse users with always pending
jobs, and will not work with array jobs.

Also, is there a way to set such that by default jobs will be submitted
to the current cluster instead of the federation (i.e. -M <cluster> by
default)? I guess this can be done by a plugin (can it? or does it run
after the sibling submissions?), but I was wondering if there's already
a solution.

Last question :), are there any issues with plugins? i.e. we have
different plugins for different clusters, if they change some of the job
parameters, should I be worried about about plugins from the origin
cluster or from the sibling cluster? Will the job have several plugins
from several clusters activated on it?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Yair.