[slurm-users] Allocate more memory

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 7 07:50:17 MST 2018

Hi David,

david martin <vilanew at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to submit a job that requires 3Go. The problem is that I have 70 nodes available each node with 2Gb memory.
>
> So the command sbatch --mem=3G will wait for ressources to become available.
>
> Can I run sbatch and tell the cluster to use the 3Go out of the 70Go
> available or is that a particular setup ? meaning is the memory
> restricted to each node ? or should i allocate two nodes so that i
> have 2x4Go availble ?

Check

  man sbatch

You'll find that --mem means memory per node.  Thus, if you specify 3GB
but all the nodes have 2GB, your job will wait forever (or until you buy
more RAM and reconfigure Slurm).

You probably want --mem-per-cpu, which is actually more like memory per
task.  This is obviously only going to work if your job can actually run
on more than one node, e.g. is MPI enabled.

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)