[slurm-users] salloc doesn't care about GrpTRES

Mahmood Naderan mahmood.nt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 10:32:04 MST 2018

Hi
I have noticed that an interactive job via salloc doesn't care about the
number of cores that I have limited in the sacctmgr. The script is:

#!/bin/bash
#SBATCH --nodes=1
#SBATCH --cores=16
#SBATCH --mem=8G
#SBATCH --partition=QEMU
#SBATCH --account=q20_8
qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4096 -smp cores=16 -hda win7_x64_snap.img -boot c
-usbdevice tablet -enable-kvm -device e1000,netdev=host_files -netdev
user,net=
10.0.2.0/24,id=host_files,restrict=off,smb=/home/mahmood,smbserver=10.0.2.4

The user limits are
# sacctmgr list association format=account,user,partition,grptres,maxwall |
grep mahmood
     local    mahmood
     q20_8    mahmood       qemu cpu=20,mem=8G 30-00:00:00

Since the CPU limit is 20, I expect to run only interactive job since the
second job adds another 20 cores which is beyond the limit. This is a
series of commands that I run to launch the guest.

Terminal 1:
$ salloc --spankx11 ./run_qemu.sh

Terminal 2:
$ salloc --spankx11 ./run_qemu.sh

Terminal 3:
$ squeue
             JOBID PARTITION     NAME     USER ST       TIME  NODES
NODELIST(REASON)
               150   CLUSTER run_qemu  mahmood  R       0:26      1
compute-0-2
               149   CLUSTER run_qemu  mahmood  R       1:15      1
compute-0-2

A picture of the guest windows are shown in
https://pasteboard.co/HTHnfeO.png
As you can see the second guest encounters a problem because both are
reading/writing to one image file.

Any idea?

Regards,
Mahmood