[slurm-users] Help With Slurm 18.08 Installation on Ubuntu Server 18.04

Raymond Wan rwan.work at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 00:40:04 MST 2018

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 4:30 AM Kenneth Russell <linux-ken at comcast.net> wrote:
> For several days, I have been pouring through on-line sites to learn the
> specifics of what files need to be in what directories, etc.  Progress
> has been very slow.
>
> 1.  Does anyone know of a detailed procedure for installing Slurm 18.08
> on Ubuntu 18.04?

If you're stuck, you can always try the Ubuntu packages.  Ubuntu 18.04
is on Slurm 17.11.2...  It's been fine for us so far...

> 2.  I am stuck on finding example PID files (slurmctld.pid, slurmd.pid
> and slurmdbd.pid) to place in my /var/run folder.  Can someone provide
> me with these files or tell me where I can find them?

As Chris just said, a lot of these files are created when you start up
the process.

The only "warning" I have for you applies if you use the Ubuntu
packages.  (It might also be true if you download the latest version
instead).  And that is, it needs various directories to be created
beforehand.  These directories are in /etc/slurm-llnl/slurm.conf but
this problem can be hard to debug.  But as you progress, the log file
will mention what directory is missing (i.e., what file it could not
create...because the directory did not exist).  Perhaps that was the
only part which I struggled with.

Of course, you want to make sure the directory for the log file has
been made.  :-)

Ray