[slurm-users] Slurm mysql 8.0

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Fri Dec 14 14:25:38 MST 2018

On Sat, December 15, 2018 5:59 am, Christopher Benjamin Coffey wrote:

> Hi Guys,

Hi Chris,

> It appears that slurm currently doesn't support mysql 8.0. After upgrading
> from 5.7 to 8.0 slurm commands that hit the db result in:
>
> sacct: error: slurmdbd: "Unknown error 1064"

That's correct, MySQL made a nasty change to SQL compatibility. :-(

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/mysql/8.0/en/news-8-0-13.html#mysqld-8-0-13-sql-syntax

SQL Syntax Notes

Incompatible Change: The deprecated ASC or DESC qualifiers for GROUP By
clauses have been removed. Queries that previously relied on GROUP BY sorting
may produce results that differ from previous MySQL versions. To produce a
given sort order, provide an ORDER BY clause.

I suspect getting this fixed will come down to someone with a support
contract who is affected filing a bug.

FWIW MariaDB (which the major distros seem to have standardised on)
doesn't seem to be affected (from what I've heard so far).

Best of luck!
Chris