[slurm-users] Slurm account names limitation: must be unique in the first 20 characters

Jacob Chappell jacob.chappell at uky.edu
Mon Dec 10 09:33:07 MST 2018

Hi all,

We've come across an issue recently with Slurm account names. Our center
uses fairly long Slurm account names, as they record various important
pieces of information about the account such as the user's unique id,
department, project name, etc. Consequently, our account naming structure
is such that many accounts share a pretty lengthy common prefix. We've
discovered that if two account names share a prefix of more than 20
characters, Slurm will error out and not add the account. We think this has
to do with the sub_part for the name index set on the acct_table table (see
below):

MariaDB [slurm_accounting]> show index from acct_table\G;
        Table: acct_table
   Non_unique: 0
     Key_name: PRIMARY
 Seq_in_index: 1
  Column_name: name
    Collation: A
  Cardinality: 14
     *Sub_part: 20*
       Packed: NULL
         Null:
   Index_type: BTREE
      Comment:
Index_comment:
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Can this be changed? Changing our account names to not share a common
prefix would be difficult and cause problems with a lot of other software
we use that is site-specific. We'd rather just remove the sub_part
(accepting the performance implications).

Thanks,
*Jacob D. Chappell, CSM*
*Research Computing Associate*
Research Computing | Research Computing Infrastructure
Information Technology Services | University of Kentucky
jacob.chappell at uky.edu