[slurm-users] CPU & memory usage summary for a job

Aravindh Sampathkumar aravindh at fastmail.com
Sun Dec 9 06:39:53 MST 2018

Hi All.

I was wondering if anybody has thought of or hacked around a way to
record CPU and memory consumption of a job during its entire duration
and give a summary of the usage pattern within that job?Not the MaxRSS and CPU Time that already gets reported for every job.

I'm thinking more like a chart of CPU utilisation, memory usage, and
disk usage on a per second basis or something like that.
Asking because some of my users have no clue about the resource
consumption of their jobs, and just blindly ask for way more resources
as "safe" option. It would be a nice way for users to know simple things
like - they asked for 8 cores, but their job ran on just 1 core the
entire time because a library they used is single core limited.We use Cgroups for process accounting and limiting job's cpu and memory
usage. We also use QoS for limiting resource reservations at user level.
--
  Aravindh Sampathkumar
  aravindh at fastmail.com