[slurm-users] how can users start their worker daemons using srun?

Christopher Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Aug 28 18:13:08 MDT 2018

On 29/08/18 09:10, Priedhorsky, Reid wrote:

> This is surprising to me, as my interpretation is that the first run
> should allocate only one CPU, leaving 35 for the second srun, which
> also only needs one CPU and need not wait.
>
> Is this behavior expected? Am I missing something?

That's odd - and I can reproduce what you see here with Slurm 17.11.7!

However, on an older system I have access to where I know this technique
is used with 16.05.8 it does work.

My test script is:

---------------8< snip snip 8<---------------
#!/bin/bash
#SBATCH -n2
#SBATCH -c2
#SBATCH --mem-per-cpu=2g

srun -n1 --mem-per-cpu=500m sleep 5 &
srun -n1 --mem-per-cpu=1g hostname

On the older system it just prints the hostname, on the newer system
I get the warning:

srun: Job 1241799 step creation temporarily disabled, retrying

Very odd...

All the best,
Chris