[slurm-users] sacctmgr - bug listing accounts?

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Mon Apr 30 05:09:36 MDT 2018

Hi Ole,

Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk> writes:

> Hi Loris,
>
> On 04/30/2018 10:12 AM, Loris Bennett wrote:
>> Thanks, I should have spotted that, although I don't understand the
>> difference between 'parent' and 'organisation' and in fact asked this
>> question:
>>
>>   https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/slurm-users/f1vftgIRcVk
>>
>> on the subject recently.
>>
>> The dump indicates to me that a hierarchy is being set up via the
>> 'parent' attribute.  The output of 'sacctmgr' and what you point out
>> suggest that there is a separate hierarchy defined by 'organisation'.
>>
>> In any case, I can't work out the the correct syntax to set the
>> organisation.  The following doesn't produce an error but doesn't have
>> any effect:
>>
>>    $ sacctmgr modify account where name=geochemie set organization=geowiss
>>    Nothing modified
>>
>> and I still get:
>>
>> $ sacctmgr list acc org=geowiss
>>       Account                Descr                  Org
>>    ---------- -------------------- --------------------
>>    geographie           geographie              geowiss
>>      geologie             geologie              geowiss
>>     geophysik            geophysik              geowiss
>>    meteorolo+         meteorologie              geowiss
>>
>> How do I set the organisation of an account?  And why is it necessary if
>> 'parent' is set?
>
> I also struggled with these terms a while back, and my notes on
> setting up accounts are in the Wiki page
> https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/Slurm_accounting#create-accounts-and-users
>
> The "parent" concept can be quite useful, depending on your needs. I
> hope this helps a bit.

Your example of how to use 'Organisation' to setup separate groups
within one department is illuminating.  However, I am still unable to
set up 'geochemie' as a sibling of 'geophysik' and a child of 'geowiss':

  $ sacctmgr list acc where account=geophysik
     Account                Descr                  Org
  ---------- -------------------- --------------------
   geophysik            geophysik              geowiss
  $ sacctmgr list acc where account=geochemie
     Account                Descr                  Org
  ---------- -------------------- --------------------
  $ sacctmgr add acc geochemie Description="Geochemie" Parent=geowiss Organization=geochemie
   No associations created.
  $ sacctmgr list acc where account=geochemie
     Account                Descr                  Org
  ---------- -------------------- --------------------

So how do I get sacctmgr to show 'geochemie'?  The dump created by
'sacctmgr' indicated that 'geochemie' exists and is a child of
'geowiss':

  Parent - 'geowiss'
  Account - 'geochemie':Fairshare=2
  Account - 'geographie':Description='geographie':Organization='geowiss':Fairshare=1
  Account - 'geologie':Description='geologie':Organization='geowiss':Fairshare=4
  Account - 'geophysik':Description='geophysik':Organization='geowiss':Fairshare=3
  Account - 'meteorologie':Description='meteorologie':Organization='geowiss':Fairshare=20

This is borne out by the contents of the database:

mysql> select user,acct,id_assoc,parent_acct from soroban_assoc_table where acct like 'geo%';
+------+------------+----------+-------------+
| user | acct       | id_assoc | parent_acct |
+------+------------+----------+-------------+
|      | geochemie  |      909 | geowiss     |
|      | geographie |      163 | geowiss     |
|      | geologie   |      223 | geowiss     |
|      | geophysik  |      296 | geowiss     |
|      | geowiss    |       56 | root        |

So this looks like a bug to me.

Cheers,

Loris

--