[slurm-users] Slurm overhead

Mahmood Naderan mahmood.nt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 00:06:56 MDT 2018

I ran some other tests and got the nearly the same results. That 4
minutes in my previous post means about 50% overhead. So, 24000
minutes on direct run is about 35000 minutes via slurm. I will post
with details later. the methodology I used is

1- Submit a job to a specific node (compute-0-0) via slurm on the
frontend and get te elapsed run time (or add  time command in the
script)
2- ssh to the specific node (compute-0-0) and directly run the program
with time command.

So, the hardware is the same. I have to say that the frontnend has
little differences with compute-0-0 but that is not important because
as I said before, the program is installed on /usr and not the shared
file system.

I think the slurm process which query the node to collect runtime
information is not negligible. For example, squeue updates the runtime
every seconds. How can I tell slurm not to query very soon. For
example, update the node information every 10 seconds. Though I am not
sure how much effect that has.

Regards,
Mahmood