[slurm-users] [slurm-dev] Re: Installing SLURM locally on Ubuntu 16.04

Raymond Wan rwan.work at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 07:33:00 MST 2017

Hi Rajiv,

On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 9:47 PM, Rajiv Nishtala <nishtala.raj at gmail.com> wrote:
> it maybe that I’m missing context here - but in regards to munge, it makes much more sense to follow the munge follow instructions from the GitHub of munge.
> Remember, the permissions for the key and the /var/ and /etc folder are important
>
> Best wishes,
> Rajiv

Hmmmm, I actually don't agree since sometimes the distribution (i.e.,
Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, etc.) has made some changes to a piece of
software to integrate it with the rest of the system.  At least with
some programs (I think it was the case with slurm, but I can't quite
remember), following general information, information for another
distribution, or even information for an older OS version caused me to
bark up the wrong tree...

For munge, this would be the files in /usr/share/doc/munge/ and
whatever's on-line.

But you are right that the upstream instructions cannot be ignored and
should be consulted in addition to the distribution-relevant
documentation, in case the latter is wrong (which does happen).

Ray