[slurm-users] Autoscaling slurm

david martin vilanew at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 07:13:40 MST 2017

Hi,

I´m using slurm together with clustercfn autoscaling.

I just have a problem and thought that you may help.

When i run a script

#Script.sh

# /bin/bash

./myprogram --threads=5  inputfile outputfile

The program uses 5 threads , assuming only 1 thread per cpu is launched
it would require 5 cpus to run. Autoscaling starts by allocating 1 node
with 1 cpu . Then the program starts running in one node . Then
autoscaling creates more nodes so at the end you have 5 nodes available.

The problem is that the program is only running on the first slave node
, the nodes created later are not used. The slurm.conf file is
configured dynamically so that the nodename tag is updated with all
available nodes.

My question is if  i need to add some specific variable or configuration
so that the program that need 5 cpus use all of them as they get
available. Some sort of allocating cpus as they come available.

I thought slurm controls how the task are send to each cpu so i was
wondering if i need to add some option in the script or the slurm.conf
file ?

thanks,