[slurm-users] "command not found"

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 15 05:25:42 MST 2017

David,
the common practice is to install blast, or any other application software
packages, on a drive which is to be exported via NFS to the compute nodes.
Or indeed a section on your parallel filesystem (BeeGFS, GPFS, Lustre etc.)
You might call such an area /opt/    /opt/shared or /cm/shared
(At my place of work it is /hpc/shared in addition to /cm/shared   - /cm
being for Bright packages)

Also it is common practice to use the Modules environment to deal with
setting up your PATHs and for dealing with multiple versions of applications
Jeff Layton has a very good article on this
http://www.admin-magazine.com/HPC/Articles/Environment-Modules

If you wish to bend your head even further look at Easybuild
https://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

There is an easyblock for Blast
https://github.com/easybuilders/easybuild-easyconfigs/tree/master/easybuild/easyconfigs/b/BLAST
So in theory (hah!) you coudl build Blast and have a Module file built at
the same time.
However this is getting far beyond the original question.

So the short answer - install applications on a disk area which is mounted
on all the compute nodes.
Use modules.