[slurm-users] Asymmetric hybrid jobs

Daniel Jana dfjana at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 08:50:00 MST 2017

Hello everyone,

One of my users has an hybrid MPI+OpenMP job, for which he launches three
MPI processes. However, and this is where it gets interesting, when it
comes to the number of threads per process he needs:
1, x, x

with x being set as optimally as possible. In this case, the cluster has 16
cores, so he wants 7 threads for each (with one of the cores being unused).

Is there a way to do this?
It seems to me that --cpu_bind may offer some options (with map_cpu), but I
may be misunderstanding the purpose of cpu_bind, hence my question.

I'm waiting for some feedback from the user, so right now I can't actually
run any tests.

Thank you all in advance,
Daniel Jana