[slurm-announce] Slurm versions 21.08.8 and 20.11.9 are now available (CVE-2022-29500, 29501, 29502)

Tim Wickberg tim at schedmd.com
Wed May 4 19:50:59 UTC 2022

Slurm versions 21.08.8 and 20.11.9 are now available to address a
critical security issue with Slurm's authentication handling.

SchedMD customers were informed on April 20th and provided a patch on
request; this process is documented in our security policy [1].

For SchedMD customers: please note that there are additional changes
included in these releases to address recently reported problems with
PMIx, and to fix communication issues between patched and unpatched
slurmd processes.

--------

CVE-2022-29500:

An architectural flaw with how credentials are handled can be exploited
to allow an unprivileged user to impersonate the SlurmUser account.
Access to the SlurmUser account can be used to execute arbitrary
processes as root.

This issue impacts all Slurm releases since at least Slurm 1.0.0.

Systems remain vulnerable until all slurmdbd, slurmctld, and slurmd
processes have been restarted in the cluster.

Once all daemons have been upgraded sites are encouraged to add
"block_null_hash" to CommunicationParameters. That new option provides
additional protection against a potential exploit.

CVE-2022-29501:

An issue was discovered with a network RPC handler in the slurmd daemon
used for PMI2 and PMIx support. This vulnerability could allow an
unprivileged user to send data to an arbitrary unix socket on the host
as the root user.

CVE-2022-29502:

An issue was found with the I/O key validation logic in the srun client
command that could permit an attacker to attach to the user's terminal,
and intercept process I/O. (Slurm 21.08 only.)

--------

Due to the severity of the CVE-2022-29500 issue, SchedMD has removed all
prior Slurm releases from our download site.

SchedMD only issues security fixes for the supported releases (currently
21.08 and 20.11). Due to the complexity of these fixes, we do not
recommend attempting to backport the fixes to older releases, and
strongly encourage sites to upgrade to fixed versions immediately.

Downloads are available at https://www.schedmd.com/downloads.php .

Release notes follow below.

- Tim

[1] https://www.schedmd.com/security.php