[slurm-announce] Slurm versions 17.02.10 and 17.11.5 are now available (CVE-2018-7033)

Tim Wickberg tim at schedmd.com
Thu Mar 15 13:12:20 MDT 2018

Slurm versions 17.02.10 and 17.11.5 are now available, and include a
series of recent bug fixes, as well as a fix for a recently discovered
security vulnerability (CVE-2018-7033).

Downloads are available at https://www.schedmd.com/downloads.php .

Several issues were discovered with incomplete sanitization of
user-provided text strings, which could potentially lead to SQL
injection attacks against SlurmDBD itself. Such exploits could lead to a
loss of accounting data, or escalation of user privileges on the cluster.

We believe that variations on these vulnerabilities exist in all past
SlurmDBD implementations back to Slurm 1.3 when the SlurmDBD was
introduced, continuing through the current supported stable releases
(17.02 and 17.11).

SchedMD customers were informed on March 1st and provided a patch on
request. This is in keeping with our responsible disclosure process [1].

The only safe mitigation, aside from installing these updated versions,
is to disable slurmdbd on your system.

One additional note: some sites have reported issues when upgrading to
the Slurm 17.11 release series while using MySQL version 5.1 (which was
the default in RHEL 6) and older. SchedMD customers are encouraged to
contact support before upgrading such systems, and/or to upgrade their
MySQL installation ahead of a SlurmDBD upgrade to 17.11.

Release notes follow below.

- Tim

[1] https://www.schedmd.com/security.php

--