[slurm-users] Guarantee minimum amount of GPU resources to a Slurm account

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 13 08:40:10 UTC 2023

Chris Samuel <chris at csamuel.org> writes:

> On 12/9/23 9:22 am, Stephan Roth wrote:
>
>> Thanks Noam, this looks promising!
>
> I would suggest that as was as the "magnetic" flag you may want the
> "flex" flag on the reservation too in order to let jobs that match it
> run on GPUs outside of the reservation.

We have a dedicated partition for some GPUs nodes which belong to an
individual PI and only members of the PI's group can use the partition.
However, the nodes are also members of a 'scavenger' partition, which
can be used by anyone, albeit with certain restrictions, such as a
shorter maximum run-time.

What are the pros and cons of the reservation approach compared with the
above partition-based approach?

Cheers,

Loris

--