[slurm-users] Notify users about job submit plugin actions

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Thu Jul 20 10:56:03 UTC 2023

Hi Lorenzo,

On 7/20/23 12:16, Lorenzo Bosio wrote:
> One more thing I'd like to point out, is that I need to monitor jobs going
> from pending to running state (after waiting in the jobs queue). I
> currently have a separate pthread to achieve this, but I think at this
> point the job_submit()/job_modify() function has already exited.
> I do get the output of the slurm_kill_job() function when called, but
> that's not useful for the user and I couldn't find a way to append custom
> messages.

Maybe it's useful to have E-mail notifications sent to your users when the
job transitions its state?

According to the sbatch man-page the user can specify himself what mail
alerts he would like:

--mail-type=<type>
   Notify user by email when certain event types occur.
   Valid type values are NONE, BEGIN, END, FAIL, REQUEUE,
   ALL (equivalent to BEGIN, END, FAIL, INVALID_DEPEND, REQUEUE,
   and STAGE_OUT), INVALID_DEPEND  (dependency  never  satisfied),
   STAGE_OUT  (burst  buffer  stage  out  and  teardown  completed),
   TIME_LIMIT,  TIME_LIMIT_90  (reached  90 percent of time limit),
   TIME_LIMIT_80 (reached 80 percent of time limit),
   TIME_LIMIT_50 (reached 50 percent of time limit) and
   ARRAY_TASKS (send emails for each array task).

/Ole