[slurm-users] Unconfigured GPUs being allocated

Wilson, Steven M stevew at purdue.edu
Tue Jul 18 21:32:51 UTC 2023

Further testing and looking at the source code confirms what looks to me like a bug in Slurm. GPUs that are not configured in gres.conf are detected by slurmd in the system and discarded since they aren't found in gres.conf. That's fine except they should also be hidden through cgroup control so that they aren't visible along with allocated GPUs when a job is run. Slurm assumes that the job can only see the GPUs that it allocates to the job and sets the $CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES accordingly. Unfortunately, the job actually sees the allocated GPUs plus any unconfigured GPUs and $CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES may or may not happen to correspond to the GPU(s) allocated by Slurm.

I was hoping that I could write a Prolog script that would adjust $CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES to remove any unconfigured GPUs but any changes using "export CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=..." don't seem to have an effect upon the actual environment of the job.

Steve