[slurm-users] ProEpiLogInterfacePlugin -> PerilogueInterfacePlugin (E.A. Schneider @ CMU'76?)

Benjamin Redling benjamin.rampe at uni-jena.de
Fri Feb 21 08:35:47 UTC 2020

Hello everybody,

only yesterday I had time to review:
https://slurm.schedmd.com/SLUG19/Slurm_20.02_and_Beyond.pdf
"
If you have a good name for this plugin type, I haven't found a good
name - "ProEpiLogInterfacePlugin" is a bit unwieldy
"

So, I searched for a hypernym of "prologue" and "epilog" and couldn't
directly find something.
But IMO, I found something very closely related.
If there isn't already a better name, I suggest
"PerilogueInterfacePlugin", because of the following possible historical
IT-roots:

https://jdebp.eu/FGA/function-perilogues.html
"
Yes, "perilogue" is a real word — sort of. It's only ever been used as a
technical term in computing, and was first used by Edward Anton
Schneider of Carnegie-Mellon University in 1976 to mean the start or
finish of an operation. Clearly this is a useful term for the
combination of a prologue and an epilogue, which are inseparable from
each other when it comes to discussions of compiled functions in
computer languages, and lack another word for their combination.

As "prologue" comes from the Greek "προ", meaning "before", and as
"epilogue" comes from the Greek "επι", meaning "after", so "perilogue"
comes from the Greek "περι", meaning "around/about". Indeed, the word
"περιλεγειν" actually exists in Classical Greek, in the writings of
Hermippus, meaning "to talk around" something.
"

Regards,
Benjamin
--